- Founder of Change Dyslexia (www.changedyslexia.org), a social organization to screen and treat dyslexia using Dytective, a research based platform for dyslexia.
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Information Systems and Technology at IE Business School. IE University
- C.V. — Google Scholar
- Research Interests: eHealth, Dyslexia, Linguistics, Human-Computer Interaction, Web Accessibility, Natural Language Processing, Education, Mobile for Good.
Cartier Women Iniciative Award Finalist.
Change Dyslexia integrates in Dytective our reseach results to overcome the three barriers of dyslexia worldwide: the fact that dyslexia is a “hidden disorder” and it is under-diagnosed, most people do not know that they have dyslexia; the reading and writing difficulties derived from dyslexia; and socioeconomic barriers.
Dytective is a social and scientific tool that includes,
- Dytective Test: free screening of dyslexia in Spanish.
- DytectiveU: a radically cheaper treatment by play with 40.000 personalized exercises.
- Scholarships for DytectiveU.
Our social impact:
- 286.137 children in 55 countries used Dytective Test for free.
- Over 358 children in 22 schools received scholarships by Change Dyslexia.
- Cartier Women Initiative Award(3 minutes summary of our research, in English)
- Fundación Aquae (14 summary of Change Dyslexia in Spanish)
- El País Video on Dytective (9 millions of views)
- Dytective’s Spot (2.3 millions of views) (Bronze Lion at Cannes, 2017)
- VodafoneOne Interview (98,000 views)
- TEDxMadrid talk: New Solutions for Dyslexia (43,500 views)
- CNN in Spanish - Channel for USA and South America, 2016
- TVE LA 2 - Second National Spanish TV channel, 2018
- EmolTV - El Mercurio’s TV channel, main newspaper in Chile, 2017
- Espejo Público - Most watched Spanish TV show at morning time, 2017
- La Sexta Noche - Most watched Spanish TV show at night time, 2016
- TVE LA 2 - Second National Spanish TV channel - A punto con La 2, 2016
- JotDown (Spain) - 2018. Interview to Luz Rello
- El Confidencial - Cómo detectar y combatir la dislexia jugando (2018)
- Forbes (Spain) - Change Dyslexia selected for Four startups revolutionizing eHealth, 2018.
- Newsweek (US Edition) - Luz Rello, nominated as one of the 20 women of the future by Ana Bot ́ın, 2018
- SICN (English) - Women, young, Spanish and technology leaders, 2018
- El Pais Semanal - El Pais’s Sunday magazine, most read in Spain, 2017
- El Espectador (Spanish) - Oldest newspaper in Colombia, 2017
- PAPEL - (El Mundo’s Sunday magazine) El ‘Candy Crush’ de dislexia, 2017
- El Mundo - Spanish newspaper, 2017
- El País - Main Spanish newspaper, Article, 2015-16
- Scientific American (Spanish) - 2014
- The Next Web TNW (English) - 2013
Selected Honours and Awards
- Finalist for the Cartier Women’ s Initiative Awards. 2018
- Forbes 30 Under 30 List by Forbes Spain Magazine, 2017.
- Princess of Girona Award, Social category by Princess of Girona Foundation, given to one individual per year by the Spanish Royal Family 2016.
- New Researcher Award by the International Dyslexia Association, 2016.
- Social Entrepreneurship Grant by Obra Social “La Caixa” Foundation, 2016.
- Semi-finalist at the International Competition de United Arab Emirates Artificial Intelligence and Robotics Award for Good (7th position among 664 entries) for the algorithm of Dytective Test, 2016.
- Best Demo Award for the app Dytective in ACM ASSETS (top conference of computers and accessibility), 2015.
- Ashoka Fellow, 2014.
- MIT Technology Review Top Innovators Under 35, Spanish edition, 2014.
- Social Innovator of the Year by MIT Technology Review, Spanish edition, 2014.
- First prize of the Vodafone Foundation Mobile for Good Europe Awards (Education Category, 200 entries) for the application Dyseggxia (preliminary version of DytectiveU), 2013.
- European Young Researchers’ Award by the EuroScience Foundation to one individual per year, 2013.
- Bank Santander Premium Scholar. Ibero-american Scholarship for Young Researchers, 2012.
- Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship for Europe, Middle East and Africa, 2011.
- Third National Prize for Academic Excellence (best national performance in B.A. Linguistics) awarded by the Spanish Ministry of Education, 2008.
I am co-author of one filed patent, one book in Spanish (two editions), 9 indexed journal papers, 34 conference papers, two book chapters, and co-author of 46 other publications. According to Google Scholar there are approximately 1,000 citations to my work with an h-index of 18. See my Google Scholar profile in https://goo.gl/gmgEDe.
Currently, I am working on a book on dyslexia and the research behind our tools, to be published in 2th October 2018 by Planeta Group (Paidós Educación), the main publisher company in Spain and Hispanic America.